Header: The Oliver Cromwell Association
Red dotHome

Cromwell online exhibition


St Ives

Cromwell lived in St Ives from 1631 - 1636, and the link is celebrated by the statue in the Market Place. Proposals for a monument to mark the 250th anniversary of his birth in 1849, had faltered. Fifty years later there was sufficient energy and enthusiasm to ensure success.
St Ives Town Council formally supported the statue proposal in May 1899, a fortnight after the tercentenary itself. A parallel proposal to fund a statue in Huntingdon had been launched two months earlier but was failing. The Free Church movement took up the St Ives appeal and the statue was over subscribed. The design was selected in 1900 and the statue unveiled in 1901. It is the only monument to Cromwell in England paid for by public subscription.


Picture of Cromwell's statue in St Ives

St Ives Statue 1998. Sculpted by F.W. Pomeroy. 
The statue is less formal than any of the others, attempting to show Cromwell as he may have been when he lived in the town, dressed in the garb of an 'English gentleman'.

  Link to Exhibition Index  

Link to previous page Red dot Link to next page   


This site is provided by The Cromwell Association. All material on this site is the copyright of the individual author, and, or, the Association, or third parties from whom the Association has obtained permission. Material on this site may not be published elsewhere without permission. Please make all proposals and requests for reciprocal links to mail2@olivercromwell.org The Cromwell Association is a registered charity, reg. no. 1132954